Friday, June 21, 2013

Chick rockers: Patti, Chrissy, & PJ



PJ tossin good fortune

The first time I heard the (above) PJ tune I thought about Patti Smith in the late 70's. It took me back to Patti Wave album: the fervor of Citizen Ship, the wanting of Frederick. Maybe back to the haunting 25th floor from the Easter album.

I can't exit a blog on chick singers w/o mentioning Chrssy Hynde of the Pretenders. Mystery Achievement remains my #1 Pretenders tune.  Please drop a nickel in the jukebox at my blog. Leave the name of a tune by one or all these chicks.

I needed to add another gritty chick, Lucinda Williams, for some country flavor.
Pineola (live)

11/06/13

Oops, I forgot to link mystery achievement

11/10/13
The entry is hot  so here's a more recent fave from Chrissy: Night in my veins

For Beeze: PJ- C'mon Billy

12/7/13

The spirit of this PJ song reminds me of a young Patti Smith. Good Fortune

12/18/13

For the big lottery winners Patti Smith Free Money

4/20/14

Patti's Easter Sunday

6/7/14
revisiting chrissy's tunes this morning

9/19/14
Lucinda morning: crescent city

10/11/14
PJ's big exit

12/7/14
chrissy with shirley manson  happy when it rains

7/15/15
 Sinead O'Connor has called for a boycott of Rolling Stone after it placed reality TV star Kim Kardashian on its cover. I think a lot of folks have stopped paying attention to that mag long before this.
8/19/15
Maybe it's the "mick" in me, but I woke up with Sinead  & the Chieftains  foggy dew on my brain
12/11/15
Lass can sing: Sinead's Harbor

4/8/16
What's the true story on  how Jimmy Iovine, the studio engineer for Patti Smith and Springsteen, helped Patti snare Because the Night?
5/6/16
Has Sinead ventured deeper into the foggy dew or did she hit the target?
Sinead posted a note on Facebook accusing Hall of supplying Prince with drugs "over the decades" and of spiking her with drugs.
8/5/16
Missed this one : Bruce , Patti and U2 doing because
3/23/17
 #bobdylan quote on #amywinehouse interesting: 
" She was the last real individualist around"
7/27/17
I've been a fan of #pattismith for a long time but never thought she'd receive so many awards. If you live long enough.....
4/7/18
woke up thinking about chrissy hynde's tune    like in the movies
10/6/18
Yep, I recall feeling this PJ Harvey  lyric "until my middle name was excess"
11/18/18
I've been the receiver of  similar words found in this  line #pattismith utters in in her "pissing in a river"  tune. "Don't turn your back now, I'm talking to you"
10/3/20
Time to add some     Fireworks from Siouxsie to the blog: 
7/13/21
I forgot Johnnette  dance along the edge-concrete blonde 
12/31/21
Patti Smith who just turned 75, received the key to NYC this week. I like a lot of her songs but wonder how she has escaped the ignorant, cancel culture. I understand she's using the N-word to define someone outside of society, a black sheep, etc, in the song Rock and Roll N____ from the late 70s, but that doesn't usually stop the dunces who lack comprehension skills.
March 5, 2022
Syd Straw, a guest vocalist with The Golden Palominos among other gigs, does a solid cover of



39 comments:

  1. chick rockers eh? they fight an uphill battle, no question. a few of my faves: the wilson sisters of heart singing barracuda, crazy on you or these dreams, that evanescence chick and sarah maclaughlin for a softer tone, and the most underrated female rock voice of all time and i bet you never heard of her: darby mills of the headpins. check them out if you want to hear a powerful voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Cuda" remains an awesome tune. Darby is revved . I went and listened "Mine all mine".

      Delete
    2. anon- Darby sounds like strictly heavy metal. Loved Heart!

      Delete
    3. barracuda is best heart tune

      Delete
  2. leather jacket rock is what i'd call it. no celine dion, but she can really belt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Pretenders tune

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved "Middle of the Road".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. big toke- I'd put that in my Pretenders top 10

      Delete
    2. buster- Chrissy gets better with age.

      Delete
    3. nitteag- agree

      Delete
  5. None of these ladies are my favorites, but PJ had a quality Rock edge...Pat Benatar has a voice that just crushes whatever she sings!

    Then there's Shirley Manson, Ani DiFranco, Stevie Nicks, Beth Gibbons of Portishead has an amazing soulful, smokey voice...There is a band called Dead Sara, whose singer Emily Armstrong is very powerful...And then there's my personal favorite, Billy the Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIk6myITwpw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the beeze- IShirley Manson rocks

      Delete
    2. beez- shirley manson rocks. stevie nicks needs to retire

      Delete
  6. Like SM, I fluctuate on Ani.
    Since you mentioned "Billy". I'll post "C'mon Billy" byPJ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. buster- Thumbs up for C'mon Billy

    ReplyDelete
  8. buster- free money lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. wave is an old album

    ReplyDelete
  10. SInead has a new album

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL...hadn't heard "Harper Valley PTA" in a long time. Mom had the original on a 45.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @robert- so did I when i was 9. I saved up my allowance to buy it. Jeanne C Riley

    ReplyDelete

Japan/Taiwan/Asia in 2024

  Japan's semiconductor industry is getting a boost from Taiwanese chip companies' expansion here to support a new TSMC (2330.TW) pl...